Thursday, July 8, 2010

Sweet Gift: Homemade Sugar Scrub


There isn't an occasion I can think of that would NOT be a perfect time to give a gal this sweet little gift. We made them for teachers, neighbors, mothers, aunts, grandmas and they all LOVED them. The best part was that the kids helped.




Here is the recipe:
1 cup white and/or brown sugar
1 cup vegetable or almond oil
1 or 2 drops essential oil
1 or 2 drops vitamin E oil
(I bought the oils at a natural food store for about $15.) Combine all the ingredients and transfer to airtight containers.



Here is what I printed on the tags:
Homemade Sugar Scrub
Contains: white & brown sugars; vitamin E, almond and orange oils. Directions: Scoop a teaspoon or two of the scrub on your hands and gently massage in circular motions onto your skin. If desired, add a small amount of hand soap before throughly rinsing.



Containers:
I got small screw top containers at The Container Store. I also found some larger canning jars at Wal-Mart and used the little disposable cups from the party store to give out small dollops of scrub as gifts at school for the gals who work in the office etc. This would make a very inexpensive and thoughtful party favor for a volunteer appreciation event or a tea party.

Other Gift Ideas:
This is the perfect hostess gift for any occasion. {Just think of how pretty you could package it for the holidays.} I wrapped a container of scrub with a pretty hand towel and added a satin bow as a gift for a friend who is a gardener. A small container of scrub with a bottle of nail polish would be a great gift for a babysitter that the kids could help you make.

If you decide to try this idea, please leave a comment or link to a photo. I'd love to hear who you would give this sugar scrub to!

14 comments:

AmethystCat said...

that's awesome, Julie!!! TFS!!! where do you find almond oil? And, does sugar scrub go bad or do you need to keep it in fridge? Or, is it just good to go - can't wait to try it!

Lena95469 said...

I love this ! I make my own sugar scrub too! Its so much better then the store bought kind. Love the litle decorated jars!

Sandy said...

Julie - I look forward to making this for the holidays!!
Thank you for posting the directions!!! How long will it last/dissolve?? That way I know how long in advance I can make it. mbsj555@aol.com

Jewels said...

Seleise and Sandy: to answer your questions, the sugar doesn't dissolve in the oil and it keeps for a number of months. The only thing that will make it go bad is contaminants from your hands dipping into the jar. I got the oils at the natural food store, but you can get by with vegetable oil and there are other places you can get essential oils. Hope you have fun making these!
Jewels

Bridgett Owens said...

Jewels, you are AMAZING! I am loving these WONDERFUL gift ideas! My daughter and I just had a spa day on our family vacation and loved it! This would be so much fun to make with her to give out for gifts this year! Love this! THANK YOU!!!
Angel Hugs,
Bridgett

Anonymous said...

What a fun idea! And the sugar scrub looks so easy to make. I'm going to have to try this!

wwilloww said...

Thanks so much for this great gift idea!! My granddaughters are older teens and I know they would love this!!! Thanks for taking care of some of my Christmas shopping!!

Chelsea said...

Jewels - I love this idea!! Thanks for sharing ... glad to see you back blogging ... I for one missed you and your posts!!!

AmethystCat said...

Thanks, Julie! You rock!!!

Barb said...

I just found your blog after seeing a couple of your youtube videos. I love this scrub idea. I can think of so many people to give these to, and for so many different occasions! Do you have a way to search your blog by project type (card, gifts, etc.)? Thanks for sharing your awesome ideas!

Jewels said...

Barb, Thanks so much for stopping by! I don't have a great way to search by type of project, but I will be adding a "Great Gifts" feature that will be a separate page a little closer to the holidays. Maybe I will add that function in the future. I love the idea! Jewels

Brenda Reynolds said...

some companies call this Manicure in a Jar! and it is expensive too when you buy it!
TFS!

angel4ever said...

I recently came across your videos on youtube. Then I checked out your website and came across all of these wonderful ideas! As a teacher, I am always creating and trying to come up with new ideas for gifts! Thank your for sharing all of your projects and ideas!

Monet said...

I just found these and think they are SOOOO cute!! But I have one question.... Where did you find the little plastic spoons with the holes in them? I would love to give these as office Christmas gifts. Thanks in advance for responding.