Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Embossed Leather Journal

Who says embossing powder is only for paper? I found this leather journal to give my husband for Father's Day and I wanted to make it more special; more personal. I also wanted it to be subtle and classy. I used Versamark ink and Transcendence embossing powder to add his initials and a flourish from TAC's Flourish stamp set. This shiny raised look is so much fun--it's like magic. If you've never tried embossing, you should!

The basic steps to embossing are as follows: (click the photos below to enlarge.) 1. Load up with ink and stamp image. 2. Sprinkle image with powder (for some applications, I like sprinkling right from the bottle.) 3. Shake off powder (I shake mine into an empty stamp container and the same powder can be used over and over.) 4. If necessary, use an artists brush to sweep away extra powder. 5. Heat image with an ebossing gun, moving around until the whole image is shiny and raised.





I also like Transcence powder the best (and I think The Angel Company is the only one who has it) because you can use this powder with any kind of ink! If I had decided to give the initials more depth, I could use my favorite Burnt Umber Palette ink and the same powder would work. This gives you the ability to match the color of your project, because even dye based inks would work. It comes in a large bottle and it lasts forever. I've been stamping for five years, I use it a lot and I still have the same bottle!
Well, tomorrow I'm off to Kansas to see the new catalogue and attend our annual seminar. Keep an eye out for some sneak peeks . . . .

2 comments:

nic_d said...

Great project! Thanks for posting the tutorial; I don't own any embossing tools/materials!

Anonymous said...

THAT is a great idea. Thanks for sharing!